Thursday, August 13, 2009

First Day Busking

Never underestimate the power of jet lag. Yesterday I slept until almost 2 in the afternoon. Knowing how everything closes a little early here in Denmark, I tried to make it into the city as early as possible to try and get a busker's permit (so the police do not come bother me). However, after going from one gov't building to the next and talking to the many street musicians that were out on such a nice day, I soon decided to abandon the idea and take my chances.

I posted up on one of København's many walking streets and played the Rolling Stones' "Dead Flowers" and some jazz tunes just long enough to make 12 kr which I gave to the self-described vagabond sitting next to me. I walked in circles for a few hours until I could meet Valdemar, a 24-year-old barkeep with whom I would give the pleasure of answering all of my questions about the young side of life in Denmark and all of the good stuff that entails.

Valdemar and I then caught the train back to Humlebæk at just kicked it for a minute. He invited/informed me a block party going on Saturday at which I could meet his fun loving friends and drink for free at his bar (I could not ask for anything more on my first weekend here). Today, I just need to get a few things worked out with my school program and then I should be golden.

My Danish friend shared with me a quote which I find especially appropriate by the Danish philosopher Søren Kierkegaard, "Life is lived forward and understood backwards."

No comments:

Post a Comment