Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Snow! and Fuck Police Brutality

It's snowing huge clumps right now. Today got off to a kind of hectic start. I spent the majority of the day working on my term paper about Søren Kierkegaard at the Kierkegaard Center and at the Royal Library. Just as I was leaving the Kierkegaard center out of frustration, I happened to see my professor walking down the street and he helped me out a little bit.

Last night, I was in Christiania with my friend Alex and a full on riot broke out in which 200 people were arrested. Rioters set fire to the street and threw Molotov cocktails at the police. In response, the whole island of Christianshavn was occupied by no fewer than 4 police trucks at each intersection. Trying to flee the riot, we raced 30 minutes through the woods in northern Christiania and then came back to the streets. On the way out of Christianshavn to the Centrum, both of us were searched by police waiting on Knippelsbro. Afterwards, we walked to our friend Julie's crib and decompressed from the hectic evening. On my way home, I had to get my bike from the Christianshavn metro station and watched the police action, still in full effect.

Tomorrow is my last day in Øresundskollegiet as well as my last before Barcelona and I am not even packed in the slightest, so that will probably occupy the rest of my evening. I was supposed to see Gogol Bordello tonight at a free concert outside at Rådhuspladsen, but the current weather might put a damper on that. Also, tonight will be the final gathering at Floss, pretty much the only bar I go to in Copenhagen. Realizing that this semester and the abroad experience is coming to an end has finally set in and it is with a bittersweet acknowledgment that I do everything "for the last time." Over the weekend, I marched in the 100,000-person climate rally, which was also packed with police.

Playlist:

Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name Of
Ol' Dirty Bastard - Shimmy Shimmy Ya
Mos Def - The Easy Spell, New World Water, Life is Real

No comments:

Post a Comment